Click on picture and zoom in to read the details of the report. briefly, it says teachers' performance will be captured on video to check on teaching standards, supposedly the cause of the high dropout rate. So, Greenview or for that matter, Singapore teachers, are you game on this? As professionals, we should be proud being videoed whilst teaching. I remembered being videoed wayback in the seventies when as a trainee teacher we had to video each other's teaching and critique by fellow trainees and I remembered the lecturer complimented "my mesmerising eyes which would hold the attention of students". Hey, Greenviewans, true, right..howelse did you enjoy my teaching .?.... haha!
This morning continued on my mission. At the same time, to find best way to get to TajMahal Hotel /Gateway of India area. To avoid the hassle of looking for a MacDonald's Restaurant (no guarantee there'll be one around), I packed my own lunch haha....grilled chicken, tomato and lettuce salad with bread and bananas.
Took the rekshaw to Dahisar again and understood from the security that the Gateway of India could not be reached by train. He advised to get a taxi from Churchgate. I did exactly that and the ride cost only Rs25 (about a dollar, cheap la!). Alighted at Gateway of India where the tour agents are located and was bombarded with tour and sightseeing packages. They even have this Rs1100 for an 8-hour busride with sleeperette on board! Locals and tourist were queuing up for the ferry to Elephanta Caves, which we had visited last Sat.
Walked to back of Taj Hotel where SIA logo stands and passed Lings restaurant but it would only open at 12pm. Signboard indicated the area around Taj is called Colaba district. Walked all along the main road at Colaba and there were many "angmo" tourists here. Guess this is the 'angmo' hangout - there were many shops selling souvenirs, clothings and shoes. Found my wife's Pandira indian slippers but was not sure if they were a good bargain. Guess there would be more around so postponed to look around further.
But then soon I was immersed in the midst of "pasar malam" vendors on both side of a main road. Some slum dwellers make the roadside their 'hotel'....
I was in for a big surprise when after a 3-hour walk, I was back to Churchgate Station where I had first started! A painful discovery though - this area is devoid of a park where tired tourists could rest their feet and have a quick bite. Had covered such a wide area in the 3hr walk and I couldn't locate a place where I can just rest my feet !
At about 4pm I decided to head back. Instead of stopping at Dahisar, I continued to the next station, Mira Rd (SIS is on this same road BUT the station is at the far end of Mira Road, easily more than 10km away) Mira Road area looks a little upmarket. There were high-rise buildings everywhere and new blocks were being built. However, the area is just as dirty and dusty as my TimberHomes area and there were slums everywhere too though not on the main road. The shops were located on the void decks of apartment blocks. There were many shoe dealers but seem none were selling the simple pandira slippers here! So looks like I have to make another trip to Colaba again for the slippers. Anyway, with the trainpass and the inviting city, I will be in Colaba again, most likely on Monday after SIS. And the next time around, I must remember to bring along my camera!... for some snapshots of the city!
Took the rekshaw to Dahisar again and understood from the security that the Gateway of India could not be reached by train. He advised to get a taxi from Churchgate. I did exactly that and the ride cost only Rs25 (about a dollar, cheap la!). Alighted at Gateway of India where the tour agents are located and was bombarded with tour and sightseeing packages. They even have this Rs1100 for an 8-hour busride with sleeperette on board! Locals and tourist were queuing up for the ferry to Elephanta Caves, which we had visited last Sat.
Walked to back of Taj Hotel where SIA logo stands and passed Lings restaurant but it would only open at 12pm. Signboard indicated the area around Taj is called Colaba district. Walked all along the main road at Colaba and there were many "angmo" tourists here. Guess this is the 'angmo' hangout - there were many shops selling souvenirs, clothings and shoes. Found my wife's Pandira indian slippers but was not sure if they were a good bargain. Guess there would be more around so postponed to look around further.
But then soon I was immersed in the midst of "pasar malam" vendors on both side of a main road. Some slum dwellers make the roadside their 'hotel'....
I was in for a big surprise when after a 3-hour walk, I was back to Churchgate Station where I had first started! A painful discovery though - this area is devoid of a park where tired tourists could rest their feet and have a quick bite. Had covered such a wide area in the 3hr walk and I couldn't locate a place where I can just rest my feet !
At about 4pm I decided to head back. Instead of stopping at Dahisar, I continued to the next station, Mira Rd (SIS is on this same road BUT the station is at the far end of Mira Road, easily more than 10km away) Mira Road area looks a little upmarket. There were high-rise buildings everywhere and new blocks were being built. However, the area is just as dirty and dusty as my TimberHomes area and there were slums everywhere too though not on the main road. The shops were located on the void decks of apartment blocks. There were many shoe dealers but seem none were selling the simple pandira slippers here! So looks like I have to make another trip to Colaba again for the slippers. Anyway, with the trainpass and the inviting city, I will be in Colaba again, most likely on Monday after SIS. And the next time around, I must remember to bring along my camera!... for some snapshots of the city!
No comments:
Post a Comment