Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Data card will come tomorrow so got to write today's happenings and learning points before going "home".

First thing in the morning on my way to my room in the office, a Year 8 student stopped me on my tracks when she said, "Sir your explanation was very clear, thank you." Such is the joy being a teacher. It makes my day!

I learnt more about the IB(Year 11 and 12) and their IGCSE(Year 9 and 10) programmes today. The school IB programme is going to be validated by an external examiner next week and students and teachers have to do some preparation like what we did for external validation, I suppose but not so "siong" la. Most of the topics in their IB Maths textbook are in our Add Maths for "O" level. The IGCSE Maths syllabus is also much easier that our "O" syllabus. In fact, the IGCSE Maths teacher mentioned that as the Years 8 and9 are following the Singapore Maths syllabuses, by the time they present Years 8 and 9 take the IGCSE it would be plain sailing for them! I suppose so as our Sec 2 and 3 standards are more demanding.

This afternoon, I sat in with the Primary Division teachers, as the coordinator wanted me to speak to the teachers on Maths resources for the primary classes. I showed them the resources in our COE@ZE and they were overwhelmed as to the resourcefulness of out primary school teachers. I emphaisied that Maths in the primary school entails lots developing and exploring mathematics ideas in depth. Students are given a variety of learning experiences to help them develop a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, and to make sense of various mathematical ideas, as well as their connections and applications. The teachers use lots of concrete materials, practical work and use of technological aids as part of the learning experiences of the students. Alamak, transport here already...got to go..bye folks!

1 comment:

Edmund Heng said...

Way to go, Henry!
Hope you're eating well there cos I heard from my FIL that it can get pretty hairy, eating gruel-like stuff for most meals :)
Keep up the updates! I'm sure eveyone's watching!
-Cheers
Ed