So busy at SIS these past three days so no time to update blog..further no internet connection given yet. Anyway, here's what happened since I last wrote....
Sat 08/09/2007
Arrived Mumbai at 10.30am (Spore 1pm) after 5.5 hr flight. Yes, met by Miss Sumi (our Singaporean EL teacher and Head, Public Relations at SIS) and Miss Sukrithi (SIS Head, Human Resources). We just hit it off. I was surprised when they presented a bouquet of roses to me outside the arrival hall! Checked into apartment where I would be staying. Then it was straight to SIS where I met John(the principal), Vinay & Nilesh (Chairman and CEO of SIS), Sal (like our AM) and Mullick (the VP). Had lunch in SIS dining hall (too huge to call it a school canteen). It was 5pm when I returned to the apartment.
Sun 09/09/2007
Yes, Sunday I was in SIS as they have Meet-the-Parents for the Primary Division which our two Singapore teachers, Sumi and Elvin, were put in charge. Was introduced to some parents and their kids. One is the CEO of Rolex, another an industrialist, ....and some other high-profiled personalities....the ones who would send their kids to SIS.
Left SIS in the afternoon and Elvin and I went by "motor ricksaw" (like the Thai 'tutuk' but more rundown la) to a huge supermarket 20mins away (a little smaller than our Century Square and not so modern). Got the scare of my life...the traffic is chaotic, there's no traffic lights and it's " survival of the fittest...the bravest one will have the right of way!!"
Mon 10/09/2007
First school day at SIS. School starts at 8am with Assembly just like ours. The principal addresses the students and say the prayer for the day, followed by announcements and then the singing of the national anthem. Believe it or not, the hundred odd students sang with gusto without any accompanying music!!...that's patriotism for you, Greenviewans...oh by the way, this blog is dedicated to students and teachers of GVSS!
First period, I attended Mr Chander's International Baccaluarette (IB) class, Year 11 ( like our JC1 class in Spore). The class was tackling AP and GP series which we taught in AddMaths some years back but it's now in the JC curriculum. The IB lessons are of one hour duration while the other levels have 30min periods.
A rep from Mount Allison University, Canada spoke to IB students and parents on admissions using the IB. A counsellor later addressed teachers and parents on handling teenage kids. When the counsellor spoke that what the Indian students are facing is what students in S'pore are facing too, I had to speak up and they were glad to hear from a Singaporean, yeah! Some parents during the tea break expressed their wish to send their kids to S'pore unis after IB. So Greenview students, you had better work doubly hard as ppl from India and elsewhere are coming to compete with you for places in the our unis !!
All students are served lunch prepared by the school cooks ! I suppose with the high fees they pay, they deserve that. Anyway, a class is assigned to help with setting the tables for meals. Before the "makan", the principal will say grace before all students.
After lunch, I met all the Maths teachers for a discussion. The teachers spend long hours in lesson preparation and wish they have heymath which the school is looking into. As we had heymath before I was able to share what heymath encompasses. They were glad that it covers the Spore Maths syllabuses.
Later the IT guy (like our TA) wanted to install the datacard into my laptop but was unsuccessful as it was not WinVista compliant ! He had to get it changed at the telco. and will be here only on Wed or Thu. Alamak, more nights without internet/msn ! Anyway, can watch TV, they have about 100 channels here....similar to what we have and more ! ....
Wah ...long story...."boh-pian" as this is the first opportunity I have before publishing my blog to you all.
TODAY Tue 11/09/2007
Yes, September 11 ! ......but no worries.. .very peaceful here.
As usual, the school car fetches the 3 of us Singaporeans to SIS each morning. Sumi and Elvin stays in the same block whereas I am in another block of the condo. Will post some pics of the apt later.
Today, I sat in with some teachers teaching the various levels. The students here are not shy like Greenviewans; they ask questions when they are not sure...yes they stop the teacher teaching by raising their hands. I had to help the teachers manage some of the classes. The students are really fun to teach as they really show their appreciation later when they meet you again. OK, it's about 4pm now and I am going to see some teachers and later meet up with the principal for some discussion on Maths activities for the kids.
Bye for the day!
2 comments:
hello dad wah such a long post. haha. hope you're fine! and healthy!!
ya joanne..
just dont know when to stop la..
haha..take care!
Post a Comment