Discovery Learning Lab conducted science activities for PD and MD students and their parents. Turn out was great. My presentation was a rush through what with all the hand signals from the back asking to stop. What a distraction. Jessica of DLL and Head of School had taken a great portion of the time allocated for the talks. My jaw almost dropped when the teacher who liaised with DLL for this event, bent over to where I was sitting waiting for my turn to address parents on the Singapore ducation experience, to tell me that my address had to be dropped BECAUSE WE WERE RUNNING LATE!! Goodness it was only 10 to 15 minutes behind schedule. Dr Vanitha and I were assigned by Director of SIS, Mike, to deliver this address and both of us had taken pains to plan for this. I dont know if Dr Vanitha was also asked to cancel her talk. I just had to put my foot down and asked that I run through my slides and was told to take 5 minutes when I said I will take 10. Quite distressing actually. I moved over to Dr Vanitha and told her of the situation and she also mentioned that she had to rush through and rush through we did. Both of us took less than 10 minutes! Hope this did not leave parents with a bad impression that we were simply paying lip service to SIS, Mumbai. We need to prioritise given the importance of the Singapore speakers. In events like these, there will be parents who will complain that the talks are taking too long. In the end we were only 15 mins behind schedule but our talk was a real let-down. Anyway, at lunch all was forgotten and the parents approach us for questions on the Singapore education scene. Guests and students enjoyed the ice-cream making and the water rocket events after lunch.
Head of School, Mr Suparman had assured parents that their children's education will be well looked after in SIS. I think he delivered a very thoughtful and convincing speech that SIS will grow from strength to strength and will become an institution to be proud of. The fact that he mentioned that he would be bringing his daughter to join the IB class here in November, 2007 won the hearts of many parents! From the interactions with many parents, I sensed that parents are assured that their children's future is in good hands in SIS. And I sincerely believe so with the wonderful support from the owners and Directors, students and their parents, a great campus and the highly qualified staff, which with continuous teacher development, will certainly propel SIS into the elite class of educating the youths of India and the world! Greenviewans, or for that matter Singaporeans, want to come over to join SIS? Seek me out and I shall help you get here....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment